Indoboardgames.com

It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:22 pm

All times are UTC + 7 hours

Post subject: D&D 4e: War of the Burning Sky. (Hari Sabtu, Jakarta)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:26 am 

Hello,

Apabila ada yang berminat, group kami sedang mencari 2-3 orang pemain tambahan. Detailnya sebagai berikut:

Ruleset: D&D 4e
Campaign: War of the Burning Sky (http://www.enworld.org/index.php?page=wotbs)
Date: Hampir setiap hari Sabtu
Tempat: Apartment Pakubuwono (kebanyakan) / Jl Sakti 2 (belakang Taman Anggrek Mall)

Group kami ada sekitar 4 players yang berusia awal 30an. Berhubung mereka adalah orang barat, maka bahasa yang akan dipakai adalah bahasa Inggris. Biasanya style kami adalah 60-65% RP dan 35-40% Combat.

Kadang kadang kami juga bermain D&D 3.5e sebagai selingan.

Kalau ada yang berminat, silahkan hubungi joesys [at] yahoo.com. Session berikutnya adalah tgl 27 Feb.

Thanks,
-Joe

Post subject: Re: D&D 4e: War of the Burning Sky. (Hari Sabtu, Jakarta)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:44 pm 

Hi Joesys

I'd like to say WOW, nice to know that there's another group of DND player in Indonesia, I don't mind if they're westerners, If it's in Pakubuwono, I can make it, it's just if it's pakubuwono residences, i need an invitation to get inside isn't it ?

I'm with a group of Indonesian DnD players there's supposed to be around 20 players, maybe we can link'em up ? :punk:

I'm checking your link now

I'll inform you to register

Regards,

Ray

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:52 pm 

Hi Ray,

Please do let the other 20 players know if they are interested. It's hard to find DnD player in Indonesia. ;-)

As far as Pakubuwono, we usually call the person who stayed there when we arrive and then he'll come and pick us up at the lobby. So that shouldn't be a problem.

If you / your friends are interested, we are into module 2 and so you will start your character with 3000XP (halfway between 3rd and 4th level).

Thanks,
-Joe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:41 pm 

@joesys

I've read the players guide, and I'm interested.

just a quick question
1. all books(Dragon Magz and etcs) or basic (PHB1+PHB2, FRPG, Ebberon PG)
2. all items(Dragon and Dungeon Magz) or basic (PHB1+PHB2, AV1+AV2)
3. level appropriate gold ?
4. time allocation for the session and starting time ?
5. how long are we're doing this campaign ? (2-3 months or more ?)

don't be intimidated by my questions, it's just i've got to adjust my Saturday schedule a lot to join in :geek:

I can bring some friends, but I'll talk to them 1st, currently they're doing a 4E Feudal Japanese campaign which also just started this February...

Cheers,

Ray

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:44 pm 

@Joesys:
hi Joe, I'm also dnd players, but I'm staying in Bandung so I think I cant join your dedicated campaign. But I'll inform my friends, there are several of them in Jakarta, maybe some will be interested.

hopefully you guys will have good time with your campaign :D :D really happy to know that there are more dnd players in the country :)

My Favorite Game Right Now
My Favorite Website
My Favorite Online Tools
My Showcase

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:54 am 

Hi Ray,

Here's the answer you've been looking for:

1) PHB1+PHB2+AV are legit. For additional materials, do consult me.

I usually do not allow races outside those book, so no drow, genasi or warforge. Classes are more acceptable. Extra feats/power selection is almost always acceptable.

The main guidance is the coherency of campaign world. It is hard to explain why you are the only elemental-born genasi in the world. It is much easier to explain why you are the only swordmage (Oh, I learnt it from a wondering half mad warrior, deep in the mountain so and so on the far far north).

Play what you like instead of what is needed. I usually modified the encounter to suit the party so you should be fine playing whatever. For the reference, we have 1 paladin, 1 avenger, 1 warlord and 1 wizard. The paladin and avenger is semi stable (as in they usually come to play every time). The warlord and wizard tend to have more life outside D&D and may not come every time.

As far as character generation, use 22 point system as described in PHB pg. 17

As far as materials from Dragon/Dungeon, I do not use character background from that book. Instead, we will be using character background from War of the Burning Sky Player's Guide, which you can read at:
http://www.enworld.org/enpublishing/sco ... 282%29.pdf

Do pay attention specially on Page 9 (Background Skill) and on Page 15 (Teleporting Problems). I did a slight modification on the teleportation problem that you can read below. I copy and paste it from the email I sent to my group.

For deity, we use PHB deity instead of deity specified in WotBS's player's guide for familiarity and consistency with clerical power.

No evil character.

Also, if you have time, do come up with a background to your character. The reason is that I will weave your background back into the campaign. The more plot hook you put in, the better I can personalize the campaign to your character. Think of the background as the seed for your personal character quest, similar to Dragon Age's companion quest or Mass Effect 2's loyalty quest. So if you said your parents were murdered a month ago, I will drop hints throughout the campaign about the murderer identity/location.

I'm sorry if I sound like a nerd, but we take our RP seriously. ;-P

2) Items, from all sources, are fine.

3) You are starting at 3000XP, so you're at level 3. As per DMG pg. 143. You can choose any mundane weapon/armor/adventure gear. You also get one lvl 4 magic item, one level 3 magic item and one level 2 magic item. You also get 520gp.

4) Typically, we start at 3pm on Sat. Usually, we either played until 6+pm or we played until 9+pm. We generally want to play as long as possible depending on DM's schedule. We try to play every Sat, but that also depend on DM and player's schedule.

5) Well, it's hard to say for sure. The campaign itself is designed to span from lvl1 to lvl 30. I would say it's a long term kind of campaign, but how far we go with it really depends on you, the players.

As I mentioned, we also play 3.5e now and then depending on the interest of the group.

I view DnD as a social event where a group of player come to have good time. As long as everyone is enjoying themselves, I view the session to be successful.

Now, don't be intimidate by my answer too. ;-)

Thanks,
-Joe

[Teleport Problem Houserule]

> if you read the campaign player's guide (Pg 15), teleporting is not working properly in the campaign. People always come out ablaze with fire when they teleport. (This is, after all, the War of the Burning Sky. Part of your long term goal is to find out why and restore the magic weave). The further you travel, the greater the damage from fire. Common (but expensive) work arounds include transforming into fire resistant creature before teleporting or buying a fire resistant magic.
>
> The original rule is as follow, 1 HP damage for every square you teleport, but you get +5 fire damage for your melee attack until the end of next turn. Given that Jeff is playing as warlock (the misty step) and I think Ari is playing as Eladrin wizard (fey step), I feel this rule penalize them as being squishy character (ha, now you know whom the enemy will target), it is unlikely they will be in the front row and attacking with melee weapon.
>
>
> In my slightly modified house rules, you suffer 1 HP damage for every square you teleport. In return you gain a +1 fire damage for your attack (melee and power) for every square you teleport up to +5 fire damage max, until the end of your next turn. Basically, you are trading the fixed amount of fire damage to versatility as you can use it with your ranged/power attack. To prevent it from being too powerful (ie, teleport 1 sq for +5 fire damage), the fire damage scales along with how far you teleport. So it's up to you to choose.
>
> Long range teleport will suffer the same damage as WotBS pg 15.
>
> Mages across the nations have been researching this for the past month for a mass market version of fire resistant magic ring. Could they be near to a breakthrough?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:56 am 

Hi Telosse,

I'm glad to hear that. Hopefully you get to play in Bandung too

Thanks,
-Joe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:42 pm 

@joesys

:P no worries, i always wanted to see a role playing game from other group's perspective

thank you for your detailed answer, I'll study it...

FYI
I'm in the hots for the new assassin class from dragon 379, most probably I'll use it...

I'm not too good with making backgrounds, most probably it'll be a low or no profile background. (just a man wanted to make a living is a most common one), but I'll try to dig in my creative side, as taking a profession of a life taker...is a very uncommon :P

Regards,

Ray

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:52 am 

Hi Ray,

Assassin is fine. Send me your character once you're done.

Thanks
-Joe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:59 pm 

@joesys

some question to build my background story
can i ?
1. already a part of an organization such as solei palancis
2. is a representative or tasked to investigate (the burning sky phenomenon) for such organization

thanks.

Ray