Indoboardgames.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:01 pm

All times are UTC + 7 hours

Post subject: Battleground Fantasy Warfare
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:52 pm 

WARNING : A BLOCK OF TEXT INCOMING !!!
Sorry, this is my first written review of a board game :punk:

Introduction
Battleground Fantasy Warfare or in short, BFW is a miniature wargame with a unique twist.

Let me start off by saying, this game is quite complex-looking to those who are new to board games. It is just one of those relatively easy to learn and very hard to master kind of game.

Sorry beforehand, gw masih belum punya, jadi kalo diajak 'nanti meetup mw coba' sorry :hammer: :no: :hammer:
Instead of using miniatures, this strategic game uses cards.

But just because it uses cards, that doesn't mean the element of strategy is taken out of the game.
This game retains all the strategy and tactics that one would need in a war.
And yes this game can only be played with 2 people, though I can imagine a 2 vs 2 war with several decks.
The approximate time of one game depends on how many units to play.
Players decide on a point-size. You use points to deploy units. The less the point-size, the faster the game wil be ranging from 30 minutes to 2 hours. Players get 1 action point for every 500 points that they decide to have in the game
For example, if they decide to have 2000 points to buy units. They will have 4 action points on their turns respectively.

Mechanics
This game includes two main mechanics :
Action point allowance system ====> BGG link
Each player is alloted a certain amount of points per round. These points can be spent on available actions, until the player does not have enough remaining to "purchase" any more actions. This method grants the player greater freedom over how to execute his or her options. Pandemic is an example of this mechanic. Players are given 4 action points to be allocated between Movement, Air Travel, Special Action, or Special Ability.

Dice rolling =====> BGG link
Dice rolling games are games where dice are used for randomness.

You may have to rally your units that are scattered. You may spend your action point to draw command cards and move units.

Price
You can purchase the game by decks of different races which gives different cards.
You can purchase the decks as two types, starter and reinforcements.
The link to buy it on boardsandbits is to the right if you want to join order from consolidated shipping ====> Boardsandbits.com link
As you can see, as the miniatures are replaced by cards, the price of the component has severely decreased.

What you need
One starter deck
Several 6 sided die (6 I think will suffice, though 10 is better)
Dry marker and eraser.
Quite some space, maybe a table of 2m x 1m

The game
The objective is to erase all of your opponent's units.
You have to maneuver your units in several different ways
H : Hold. The unit will not move and shoot at the nearest enemy if possible
C : Close. Move at full speed towards a target and engage it if possible.
R : Range attacks. Only units with range attacks can have this order. If the unit is within range and has the appropriate facing, it will remain in place and shoot. Otherwise, it will move its maximum movement towards the nearest enemy

If you attack an enemy from its side, you flank it and that unit has no defense while you are attacking.
There are much more to the game.

My hopeful opinion
Hopefully, this is what I'm looking for. A miniature, light war game with portable components which are only cards.
It is quite cheap, though you need other easy-to-get things. Advises are to buy only the starter deck at first, and if you do like it, which you will absolutely do, buy the reinforcement deck.
The starter deck are all you need for a 2 player game. The reinforcement adds variability and 2 new cards that are not included in the starter deck.
Since I haven't played the game, I can't give an accurate rating. But from what I've watched and heard, Tom Vasel likes it. It's definitely a must-try for me. The downside is that you have to write on the cards, though people at gencon stated that they made the card very durable for repetitive erasing of the commands that are given to them.
The cards are 3.5 inches long and 2.5 inches long wide.
I hope it is what I expected it to be.

Sorry for the grammatical mistakes. I'm going to give some links to ease you of the searches.

Battleground official homepage
Here you can view an online tutorial and check out the decks for the races.

BGG link
What can I say, BGG gives you links to the expansions ( which are basically decks of different races both starter and reinforcement ).

Post subject: Re: Battleground Fantasy Warfare
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:04 am 

Good review bro...or should i say preview? ;)
But then again, i am not really sure it's going straight into miniature or card game categories.
In my opinion and taste the feel of using cards as minis really turn me off. But, this worth a shot.

BG Lineups | Wishlist
fortheloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:46 am 
Forum Staff
Forum Staff

ini main nya sih jadi mirip wings of war :)

gw sih personally kurang suka kalo mekanik gini dibawa serius. mending wings of war maen rame2 heboh hahaha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:33 pm 

@kris : kan filler type miniature lol, emang ga stimulating mata sama otak sih, tapi considering the price, mirip2 summoner wars boleh laaa

kohee wrote:
ini main nya sih jadi mirip wings of war :)

gw sih personally kurang suka kalo mekanik gini dibawa serius. mending wings of war maen rame2 heboh hahaha

yup2, card game - miniature based ini ga bisa sampe terlalu serius, tapi menang di portability hehe